-
-
-

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rainy Day Reminder

I do LOVE this house.

A LOT.


But today is one of those days where I need to remind myself that I'm happy we bought an older home.

You see. It rained a lot lastnight
&
this morning
&
pretty much hasn't stopped raining.





I LOVE the RAIN...

but
unfortunately I noticed it was seeping into our playroom this afternoon!!!
I quickly pulled back the carpet so that it could air out & went outside to assess the problem...



One of the previous owners had built this "flower box" along the back of the house. With a rain gutter on each end, draining from the roof.

Today the flower box was acting as a dam & collecting loads of water in one area & it was seeping into the house.
I went to work immediately, trying to save our playroom...
I pulled a brick out & then dug a little trench to allow the water to drain...

and then another
&
another
&
another...

Our backyard is totally torn up.

I'm soaking wet, because the clouds didn't have the decency to stop pouring rain on my head, during my task.

My feet hurt, because I didn't bother to take off my flip flops while using the shovel.


At least the flower box is drained...

& at least I hadn't showered & got all ready for the day yet...




Oh wait, I had.






7 comments:

Macey said...

Bummer-at lwast you caught it quick!

Crissybug said...

Also remember...that can happen to new houses too. The thing that matters is that you LOVE your house...no matter its age. Macey is right though atleast you caught it before it got worse!

Staci said...

You are right Crystal! It isn't so much that it is old, it is just that the people before us decided to put in a "swimming pool" so that the water could leak in. We are ripping up our backyard anyways & putting in grass, so this will give us a headstart!:)

Cotter said...

oh my goodness! i am so sorry! my mom is in town but when she leaves next week we should play!

Tanilee said...

Staci, I so feel your pain on this one! We stayed at my mother-in-laws house one summer when she was in Utah and during one of the monsoons the house literally sprung a leak. I think there was at least a half inch of standing water in the basement before we noticed the problem! And that was just the basement!! Good luck with everything, and I'm with Lyndsay - we need to hang out!!

Anonymous said...

oh no! what a mess! my dad has to place a blue tarp outside when it rains so it doesn't flood the downstairs.
how were the concretes last night???
i was thinking of you.

Jacquee said...

Yikes! Talk about raining on your parade. We had an older house when we lived in Carbondale and we had little mishaps from time to time, too. I hope it dries out nicely (in true Arizona fashion).