"Mother, who willingly made that personal journey into the valley of the shadow of death to take us by the hand and introduce birth-even mortal life-deserves our undying gratitude. One writer summed up our love for mother when he declared, 'God could not be everywhere and so He gave us Mothers." - Thomas S. Monson

Today is Mother's Day. I LOVE Mother's Day. Every time I see Parker, I am reminded WHY I love being a Mother. I LOVE watching the Primary Kids sing their song they have prepared during church about their moms, I love the talks directed specifically at Mothers, I love the goodies that the Young Men pass out to the women in the ward & I love reflecting on what a wonderful Mother I have!
In our Young Women's lesson today, we talked about Eternal Families, focusing specifically on Mothers. The teacher passed out a paper of amazing quotes about Moms & on the back there were some questions. I decided to answer the questions here...
What is your funniest memory of your mom?
I LOVE thinking back to when we had Family Prayer & Scripture Study. Every now and then, something funny would happen(ok...it happened a lot with 7 kids) & my mom would start laughing so hard, she couldn't stop. The the tears would start coming...because she was laughing so hard. Then all of us kids would laugh. I love that my mom knows how to have fun(even when we were supposed to be reading the Scriptures!)
What lesson that she taught you stands out?
Serve...Serve...Serve!
My mom ENDLESSLY reaches out to those in need, without uttering a SINGLE complaint
What is your favorite characteristic or personality trait about your Mom?
That one is easy...Her Unselfishness.
She ALWAYS puts others before herself.
What do you see in yourself that came from her physically or in your personality?
I see a lot of my mom in me. As far as looks go, I have ALWAYS been told I look like my mom. I don't get it is much anymore(I got it more when I was thinner...pre-Parker phase of life)
I don't quite have her amazing cooking skills, but I would like to think that I am slowly learning from her MANY MANY talents!
List as many things as possible that she has done for you.
Are you kidding me? This would seriously take pages. I'm going to narrow it down to 20.
1. Carried me for 9 LONG Months & gave BIRTH to me!
2. Made me a Beautiful Easter Dress & Christmas Dress with outrageously large collars from birth to age 12...maybe longer.
3. Taught me to GET READY for church...no dirty haired ponytails or flip-flops allowed.
4. Threw the most AMAZING Birthday Parties EVER! My favorite was my "Cheerleader" Party, when we all go to Puffy Paint our own Plastic Visors & we made our very own Pom Poms & even made up some cheers!
5. MADE me take Piano for 8 years. I'm so glad now.
6. Encouraged me to play the violin, run for Student Council, play after-school sports & MORE...all in Elementary School.
7. Encouraged and Taught me to Play Volleyball. STILL the love of my life!
8. Pushed me to excel in my schoolwork.
9. Came to EVERY Basketball game, Volleyball game, Track Meet, Piano Recital, Church Event...anything you can think of...she was there to support me.
10. Pushed me to go to College & receive my degree...no matter how long it took me. I played a lot throughout my college years...but I did finish!
11. Supported all of my crazy adventures! Was at the airport to welcome me home from Idaho, China & Utah...when I was done living there & ready to come back home.
12. Took me on the most INCREDIBLE Senior Trip of my life! I went with them to pick up my brother Matt from his mission from the Phillipines & we also were able to spend some time in Japan, while on that side of the Globe. What an incredible experience!
14. Encouraged...sometimes forced me to go on MANY MANY family vacations. Now they are my fondest memories.
15. Approved of the man I chose to marry. In fact...pushed me to date/marry someone like "Matt Allen" through ALL my teen years!
16. My Wedding! You can name almost ANYTHING & she did it! I think the mother of the bride is supposed to relax a little more...but she altered my dress/added beadwork & sash/made my veil, did ALL my flowers(corsages, boutenneirs, centerpieces & Bouquet!), made almost ALL the food(it was INCREDIBLE) & even handmade candies/suckers for Candy Jars on the Dessert table, spray-painted boxes in my colors for the centerpieces on every table, made my backdrop for the reception line, made the bridesmaids skirts, kept me calm & I could go ON & ON...she did EVERYTHING to make my day ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!
17. She is always available when I need someone to talk to.
18. Taught me how to cook, sew & MORE...even though I still have a long way to go...she gave me the desire to learn!
19. She was at the hospital, minutes after Parker's birth...flowers in hand. Decorated our house with an "It's A Boy" sign when we came home from the hospital. Been the most amazing Grandma ever since!
20. Been the Best Mom a Girl Could Ask For!!!
I Love My Mom So Much! She is the best example for me in my life. I am so grateful for all she has taught me & will CONTINUE to teach me! The same goes for my OUTSTANDING Mother-In-Law! I'm thankful that we could live close to home & that my children will be able to grow up and know how amazing their Grandmas are! I'm grateful for the examples they are in my life & for all they do for our family!
Married or Not...Kids or No Kids...I wish EVERY WOMAN a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!
In our Young Women's lesson today, we talked about Eternal Families, focusing specifically on Mothers. The teacher passed out a paper of amazing quotes about Moms & on the back there were some questions. I decided to answer the questions here...
What is your funniest memory of your mom?
I LOVE thinking back to when we had Family Prayer & Scripture Study. Every now and then, something funny would happen(ok...it happened a lot with 7 kids) & my mom would start laughing so hard, she couldn't stop. The the tears would start coming...because she was laughing so hard. Then all of us kids would laugh. I love that my mom knows how to have fun(even when we were supposed to be reading the Scriptures!)
What lesson that she taught you stands out?
Serve...Serve...Serve!
My mom ENDLESSLY reaches out to those in need, without uttering a SINGLE complaint
What is your favorite characteristic or personality trait about your Mom?
That one is easy...Her Unselfishness.
She ALWAYS puts others before herself.
What do you see in yourself that came from her physically or in your personality?
I see a lot of my mom in me. As far as looks go, I have ALWAYS been told I look like my mom. I don't get it is much anymore(I got it more when I was thinner...pre-Parker phase of life)
I don't quite have her amazing cooking skills, but I would like to think that I am slowly learning from her MANY MANY talents!
List as many things as possible that she has done for you.
Are you kidding me? This would seriously take pages. I'm going to narrow it down to 20.
1. Carried me for 9 LONG Months & gave BIRTH to me!
2. Made me a Beautiful Easter Dress & Christmas Dress with outrageously large collars from birth to age 12...maybe longer.
3. Taught me to GET READY for church...no dirty haired ponytails or flip-flops allowed.
4. Threw the most AMAZING Birthday Parties EVER! My favorite was my "Cheerleader" Party, when we all go to Puffy Paint our own Plastic Visors & we made our very own Pom Poms & even made up some cheers!
5. MADE me take Piano for 8 years. I'm so glad now.
6. Encouraged me to play the violin, run for Student Council, play after-school sports & MORE...all in Elementary School.
7. Encouraged and Taught me to Play Volleyball. STILL the love of my life!
8. Pushed me to excel in my schoolwork.
9. Came to EVERY Basketball game, Volleyball game, Track Meet, Piano Recital, Church Event...anything you can think of...she was there to support me.
10. Pushed me to go to College & receive my degree...no matter how long it took me. I played a lot throughout my college years...but I did finish!
11. Supported all of my crazy adventures! Was at the airport to welcome me home from Idaho, China & Utah...when I was done living there & ready to come back home.
12. Took me on the most INCREDIBLE Senior Trip of my life! I went with them to pick up my brother Matt from his mission from the Phillipines & we also were able to spend some time in Japan, while on that side of the Globe. What an incredible experience!
14. Encouraged...sometimes forced me to go on MANY MANY family vacations. Now they are my fondest memories.
15. Approved of the man I chose to marry. In fact...pushed me to date/marry someone like "Matt Allen" through ALL my teen years!
16. My Wedding! You can name almost ANYTHING & she did it! I think the mother of the bride is supposed to relax a little more...but she altered my dress/added beadwork & sash/made my veil, did ALL my flowers(corsages, boutenneirs, centerpieces & Bouquet!), made almost ALL the food(it was INCREDIBLE) & even handmade candies/suckers for Candy Jars on the Dessert table, spray-painted boxes in my colors for the centerpieces on every table, made my backdrop for the reception line, made the bridesmaids skirts, kept me calm & I could go ON & ON...she did EVERYTHING to make my day ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!
17. She is always available when I need someone to talk to.
18. Taught me how to cook, sew & MORE...even though I still have a long way to go...she gave me the desire to learn!
19. She was at the hospital, minutes after Parker's birth...flowers in hand. Decorated our house with an "It's A Boy" sign when we came home from the hospital. Been the most amazing Grandma ever since!
20. Been the Best Mom a Girl Could Ask For!!!
I Love My Mom So Much! She is the best example for me in my life. I am so grateful for all she has taught me & will CONTINUE to teach me! The same goes for my OUTSTANDING Mother-In-Law! I'm thankful that we could live close to home & that my children will be able to grow up and know how amazing their Grandmas are! I'm grateful for the examples they are in my life & for all they do for our family!
Married or Not...Kids or No Kids...I wish EVERY WOMAN a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!




4 comments:
Wow your mom is amazing! If I didn't know better I would think you were an only child! Is she that dedicated to all seven of you?
I blog the lame.You blog the important. What a great example you are.
Excuse me Shanell! I LOVE your blog! It is NEVER lame.
What a great tribute to your mom, she is amazing, and you are just like her! Happy late Mother's Day!
Post a Comment