Saturday Ryler woke up with a Raspy Voice, but throughout the day it came and went.
I figured he was probably congested & possibly getting sick, but he was very happy all day & we even decided to go out with friends to movie & dinner.
I figured he was probably congested & possibly getting sick, but he was very happy all day & we even decided to go out with friends to movie & dinner.
When I picked up Ryler from my parent's house, he sounded worse & before we left he started a barking cough. We headed home & he fell asleep within seconds. When we got home, Matt tried to lay him down in his crib & he woke up coughing so much, that he could hardly breathe.
We decided it would be best to take him to Goodnight Pediatrics & see if they could give him a breathing treatment.
We got there about 10:30pm, got right in & they immediately gave him an oral steroid to reduce swelling in his throat & started him on a breathing treatment. The breathing treatment was supposed to help with immediate relief, but it did not...so after monitoring him off and on for about 1 1/2 hrs, she came in and said that she was going to make arrangements for an ambulance to take him to the Emergency Room. At this point, they also took his temperature & it was 101.5, so they gave him Motrin to reduce his fever.
I made the decision to drive him myself. I figured that I had been sitting there with him for the past 1 1/2 hrs & wasn't worried about a 10 minute drive. We got to Banner Desert Children's Emergency Room & while signing him in, a nurse walked by & immediately stopped when she heard Ry's breathing. Ryler was sleeping in the stroller, she back tracked her steps, listened to his lungs & immediately grabbed a nurse to put us in a room. I felt bad that there were people that had been waiting hours, but Goodnight Ped's had called ahead & told them we were coming & they were obviously worried about his condition.
There biggest concern with him was that even when sleeping or resting, his breathing was still not normal. Often times with Croup, it gets worse at night or when they get agitated, but when they are resting, they are fine. His resting breathing was still not regular & they ordered another breathing treatment. The nurse suggested that we get comfortable, because more than likely they would admit him for 24 hours, since he had needed 2 breathing treatments in such a short amount of time.
How do you "get comfortable" in a hospital?
I would finally get him to sleep & a nurse would need to check his vitals, which is why we ended up watching Barney at 3am ...
Ryler NEVER watches TV. He won't even sit still for 2 minutes, but he was SO EXHAUSTED & was so good & just layed in bed, although he did tryto rip that thing off his toe, every couple of minutes;)
After the 2nd breathing treatment, they monitored him for 2 hours & the nurse was debating whether to admit him or not. At this point, he had fallen to sleep, so he sounded MUCH BETTER, but his breathing was still raspy. She went to get the Dr to check on him and after another check, he decided to send us home! He had improved over the past 7 hours & that is what they wanted. We got home about 5am today(Sunday) & both of us were so exhausted, we crashed.
He slept pretty good, he still does not sound great today & we are just trying to take it easy today. They figure it will get bad again tonight, but hopefully it will be better than the crazy night we had lastnight!
POOR BOY!
I really hope he is feeling better SOON!




7 comments:
oh poor boy!!! That's no fun for either one of you. Hope he keeps improving and that you have a better night tonight. What can I do to help?
That's no fun. I'm glad both of you slept (hopefully a good sleep). How nice that you have a pediatric place open late and a children's ER.
Poor ryler, I hope he is felling better soon! We missed you guys at family dinner.
You are so sweet Debbie! We are fine! THANKS:)
Kendra, I LOVE that we have a place open at all times of night & that was my first visit to the pediatric ER, but it was really nice(I just hope I don't have to go back soon)
We missed you guys yesterday too! I was bored at home, but wanted to keep Ry's germs away!
Your mom told us the story on Sunday. Poor baby! Ryler always gets the fun stuff. I'm so glad he is doing better! We sure love that kid. He is a trooper! (And so are you!)
poor little friend! i hope he is quickly recovering and that you are holding up okay. sick babies are no fun (except that they usually like to cuddle). my poor little elliott has done many-a-breathing treatment in his day! good luck.
poor kid! having a sick child and not being able to do anything about it is awful. I am SO glad he is feeling better and I hope you caught up on some sleep too!
Post a Comment